PRISM, NSA and the surveillance state
In light of recent events regarding the NSA’s sweeping data collection program, we put together a parody site that hopefully draws a laugh and some further attention to the issue. Please share! getprsm.com
However, behind the parody, Datacoup is a real company doing real things to advance the cause for consumer empowerment.
Our view on Data Privacy
We take a pretty unique view of privacy, and more specifically, data privacy. We don’t view privacy as putting up walls or fences, thereby blocking things from coming in or going out. That leads to an inevitable technology arms race between the data trackers and anti-trackers. Instead, we view privacy as a consumer empowered with their data. Doing with it whatever they see fit. Privacy, for us, is a consumer having an equal seat at the data negotiating table with businesses (and even government).
The value of data
There is no doubt about the value of personal data. The Advertising Infrastructure is currently a $125bn+ per year business in the US, and is largely predicated on tracking, mining, packaging and selling consumer data. However, the true value of personal data is likely something far higher than $125bn. We are in the first inning of figuring out what to do with that data. The data democratization process is just starting to take hold and Datacoup wants to help usher in the decentralization of data away from large gatekeepers, and into the hands of its consumer creators.
What does Datacoup do?
Datacoup is a personal data exchange. We are a vehicle for consumers to aggregate, visualize and sell their own personal data. We are currently focused on social and financial data, but as we grow will incorporate quantified self and search data. Your data paint a very valuable picture of who you are, and you should be the one to benefit from that value.
Control is a nebulous word. Datacoup is not guaranteeing or even offering complete control over consumer data. That would be impossible, because in a transaction there are two parties who claim a share of ownership rights over data. What we are offering is increased control over the distribution of your data. Our platform is set up so users can decide which data to sell, and whom to sell it to. Currently, consumers have no such means. Enabling the consumer to aggregate and distribute their data is a huge first step toward more ownership over the data.
Think about this: Retailers currently buy a bunch of consumer data from Acxiom or DataLogix (Two high-powered data brokers that have way more information about you than you’d care to hear). If, instead, individual consumers had a vehicle to sell their data into large aggregated pools where retailers could purchase data directly from the people, why on earth would retailers ever deal with the data brokers again? Data Broker data is inaccurate, piecemeal, and cobbled together by unsavory means. Data directly from people is organic, natural and (if API-fed) by definition 100% accurate.
This is why we view privacy the way we do. Throwing up a wall doesn’t solve the longer term problem. Retailers want data, and consumers want stuff. Now that consumers have a means to transact directly with retailers around their data, there is little need for all the tracking and mining of data against the consumer’s will.
Swing over to Datacoup and sign up for our beta. Take a peek at our landing page for more details on how you can sell your data.
-The datacrew at datacoup
155 Notes/ Hide
- bathroomideasgod likes this
- 171gifer likes this
- tyushokigyotushin likes this
- theunclesbordel likes this
- casanaria likes this
- mkscope likes this
- mkscope reblogged this from datacoup
- chuprof reblogged this from datacoup
- prsrvd likes this
- badmofonl reblogged this from datacoup
- rockandbacon reblogged this from datacoup
- rockandbacon likes this
- beatrixolive likes this
- dhs reblogged this from datacoup
- un likes this
- iconolith reblogged this from datacoup
- igmuska likes this
- a-room-owned-by-kiana likes this
- g3niu5 reblogged this from datacoup
- calculatorspook reblogged this from thatstrangeowl
- keepmathsexy reblogged this from datacoup
- iamiskander likes this
- tdr1v3r likes this
- thatstrangeowl reblogged this from datacoup
- thatstrangeowl likes this
- scandalousstella likes this
- yarichin-no-nikki likes this
- pyrexvisean likes this
- mojibakee likes this
- zacanger reblogged this from datacoup
- fonlx reblogged this from datacoup and added:
- simoncotts likes this
- nyeto reblogged this from datacoup and added:
- 2xaa reblogged this from datacoup and added:
- critic-1 likes this
- betype likes this
- pschfr reblogged this from datacoup
- pschfr likes this
- rockoman100 likes this
- shubhanyu likes this
- ibetyoucantguessthis likes this
- eduardoe likes this
- dpencilpusher likes this
- bellaspree reblogged this from datacoup
- smileybarry likes this
- smileybarry reblogged this from datacoup and added:
- avaerya likes this
- mhaidarh likes this
- bailsafe reblogged this from datacoup
- amorax reblogged this from datacoup and added: